Korra: 3

MATCH SCORE
Snow White: 3
Danny The Dog: 1

MATCH SCORE
Sweet: 3
The Music Meister: 0

How to support MagneticFerret

Follow us on Twitch and Support us on Patreon!

2:6 - Doctor Doom vs. The Balrog

UMPIRE

SEASON 2, ROUND 6

Doctor Doom

26.jpg

Slot: The Team Anchor

Season Wins: 0

Season Losses: 0

Fantasy Team Page

Read more about Doctor Doom at Wikipedia

Official Site: Marvel Comics

The Balrog

2092.jpg

Slot: The Team Anchor

Season Wins: 0

Season Losses: 0

Fantasy Team Page

Read more about The Balrog at Wikipedia

Official Site: JRR Tolkien Estate

Battle Terrain

Combat Terrain: Ice Planet Hoth

terrain_hoth.jpg

Guest sithisson

I don't know with the idea of it being a creature of flame it might be able to withstand Hoth for a little while at least. Of course Doom's fought in this sort of terrain before even in his younger years to help the Gypsy tribes. Add in his mystical knowledge and the Balrog is in for a long battle here.

Since we're taking characters at their most powerful wouldn't this be the most powerful Balrog? Not the one Gandalf fought? In that case Doom is up against Gothmog, who is much more powerful. Sauron was the only one of Morgoth's captains to be his equal and he managed to kill Fëonor in the first age.

Guest sithisson

Even if it was Gothmog Doom's taken on high powered hellish demonic beings before. In fact he's tried power stealing from celestial forces of nature. He'd not be that easily overwhelmed and in fact probably would consider trying to trap it for future uses. Hasn't Doom showed an ability to create portals of magic before? Not hard to send the Balrog off planet into the vastness of space if that's the case.

Guest sithisson

His power tends to fluctuate from writer to writer, as most characters tend to be naturally. If we stay in anchor territory then its the Bane of Moria vs Doom who still has sorcery enough to use the Crimson Bands. Even without sorcery I'm sure the Balrog's gonna be surprised by the weaponry on that armor that is more then he's seen before.

Doesn't it generally take more holy–level magic to actually affect a Balrog? The ones killed during the first age were all by elves empowered by the Valor, which doesn't seem up Doom's alley.

As for the weaponry in the suit itself, I doubt that will have as much of an effect on any Balrog but especially Gothmog. Conventional weapons don't really seem to be as effective. 

I understand Doom is powerful but I still think Gothmog is being underestimated. He was the right–hand man to Morgoth (basically the Satan of Tolkien) and whenever asses needed kicking, he was sent in. He killed two of the five Kings of Noldor, including Fëonor, who is described as "...Fëanor was made the mightiest in all parts of body and mind: in valour, in endurance, in beauty, in understanding, in skill, in strength and subtlety alike: of all the Children of Ilúvatar, and a bright flame was in him."

I think he at least has a chance of making this a fight.

Guest sithisson

Making it a fight yes. Winning the fight,,,well that's still speculative at best. The Balrog is going up against a man that considers all to be inferior to himself. Doom is not going to just fall so easily and his intellect will allow him to use all at his disposal, what the terrain gives to him, and what he can learn of the creature itself. It'll be a fight true but a fight Doom takes.

Holy level magic would be needed true but then again what I've suggested here is using the Bands to hold the creature or even trap the Balrog to allow Doom some time to make a new attack pattern. Most of the weapons might be easy for the monster to shrug off but again these are weapons it's not going to be familiar with. On top of that there has been claims before by Victor, maybe someone else can confirm this true or not I've only seen it written about, that pieces of the the True Cross are contain in his armor. True or not I don't know but I would not put it pass the man since he's in a kingdom that is an area of historical undead lords. If it is true that might hurt the Balrog also.

Guest Manar

Since we're taking characters at their most powerful wouldn't this be the most powerful Balrog? Not the one Gandalf fought? In that case Doom is up against Gothmog, who is much more powerful. Sauron was the only one of Morgoth's captains to be his equal and he managed to kill Fëonor in the first age.

If we take the most poerful Balrog, then we ought to take the most powerful Doom too. That would be Doom when he has stolen the power of the Beyonder. That Doom would kick Gothmogs ass badly.

Guest sithisson

Indeed which it is probably one of the usual versions of Doom (i.e what you see contending with RIchards!!!! all the time) against in more then like hood Durin's Bane. 

Guest skadoosh

No, not really. The Balrog won't make him work for it.

I was thinking pretty much this -

Gothmog, etc, etc

- so, yeah, he would. Doom would win, i'm very sure, but not without a fight from the Balrog.