Read More
MATCH SCORE
Hector Barbossa: 4
Long John Silver: 2

Read More

How to support MagneticFerret

Follow us on Twitch

Writer's Challenge!

Due to it taking a bit to understand and execute the draft code (It's getting there I promise I am trying.) I will hold a writer's challenge to help bring some competition!

Here is how it will work:

On 8/15/22 I will Update this with a topic to use as a baseline for you write up, this will be the base of your setup!

Ex: Romance - Write a setup to include a romance that leads into the conflict of the narrative, Betrayal - Write a setup that involves a team that separates due to a betrayal leading to the conflict, etc.

You will then have until 8/30 to make a write up using that as you baseline. The characters you use do not matter, it's all about the write-up here. 

Only ONE match will count during this time, YOU are responsible for posting a link to YOUR write up in the comments below for it to count. 

The person with the highest score will win, should there be a tie we will have a tie breaker to be resolved the following month.

I will use my discretion to decide if a rating was given in an attempt to sabotage a score, as well if a score was given to give someone an unfair advantage. 

The winner will receive a $25 Amazon Gift code. 

If you have any questions please comment below, thanks!

Contenders (Will update as more are added):

Writing romance... hmm...

1 hour ago, SSJRuss said:

So the prompt is either Romance or Betrayal, correct?

No, those we just examples the topic will not be given until the 15th.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The theme for the challenge will be - "Heel Turn".

The write up MUST include the following to qualify:

1: A Character normally portrayed as the hero, will become the villain by the end of the write up.

2: The Character must NOT have been a villain in the before regardless of version. (Injustice Superman knocks ALL versions of Superman out of the challenge.)

3: The reason for the change of heart MUST fall in line with their character, mind control and black mail are NOT allowed for this challenge.

4: The Competitor does not matter, the focus will be on the character who is now evil. The type of competition does not matter as long as an act of evil is being portrayed.

A good example for a Heel turn would be Superman from the Injustice comics, obviously this means Superman will not be usable as the villain in this challenge. 

I will personally be reading and judging EVERY entrant and will give bonus points for the following:

Originality - Have I seen your reason used before. 

Unexpected  - Is this a character I could foresee having a change of Heart.

Quality writing - Above all, the write up must keep me engaged, if everything in the challenge is there but your writing is not, you will lose points.

I will also be giving constructive criticism to every write up, if I appear nit picky, that means you did a good job and I'm looking for faults - try to give me nothing to complain about :)

May the best story win!

• Thanks 1

Hey, @IKA. Since this is a tournament, you may want to actually put this thread in the Tournaments forum. 

And this should be interesting! A lot of mainstream heroes (especially on the comics side) have made at a heel turn at least once.

8 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Hey, @IKA. Since this is a tournament, you may want to actually put this thread in the Tournaments forum. 

And this should be interesting! A lot of mainstream heroes (especially on the comics side) have made at a heel turn at least once.

Not a tournament, a one write up challenge. Who ever wins, wins.

13 hours ago, IKA said:

Not a tournament, a one write up challenge. Who ever wins, wins.

Ah. Makes sense. 

Regarding the challenge, would it be plausible to write a scenario where the hero is taken in, kidnapped, etc., before the events of the story and raised and/or trained in a way that he/she/it becomes a villain before he/she/it can become a hero in the first place?

12 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Ah. Makes sense. 

Regarding the challenge, would it be plausible to write a scenario where the hero is taken in, kidnapped, etc., before the events of the story and raised and/or trained in a way that he/she/it becomes a villain before he/she/it can become a hero in the first place?

"3: The reason for the change of heart MUST fall in line with their character"

That would  take them away from their character, so no. A "Trick" Origin story (EX: Captain Hydra) could be a way to subvert that though. But again, you have to make that feel original. 

Looking forward to finishing the agricultural fair to have time to write again.

• Like 1

Just as a heads up, we have 8 days remaining for the challenge! Please make your posts by then!

Also, remember to post your links in the the comments on this post to be counted!

Thanks!

The fair just ended today. I have the next four days before I need to set up my classroom for the year. Hope I can pull it off in time.

• Like 1

I hope more folks have actually known about this challenge all this time. There is a decent-sized billboard with GIF included dedicated to it included near the top of the forums pages, after all, lol. 

On 8/16/2022 at 12:45 PM, IKA said:

"3: The reason for the change of heart MUST fall in line with their character"

That would  take them away from their character, so no. A "Trick" Origin story (EX: Captain Hydra) could be a way to subvert that though. But again, you have to make that feel original. 

Took me awhile to get back to this.

The Captain Hydra route actually sounds like the type of story I was thinking about, where the would-be hero is taken in as a child and raised to learn more villainous ways. And come to think of it, the match I had in mind would actually start right after the first scene of the story. 

Besides, if the story the match is made from has complex-enough characters, it may not be too hard to have the hero have that heel turn without taking them too far away from their basic persona. 

6 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Took me awhile to get back to this.

The Captain Hydra route actually sounds like the type of story I was thinking about, where the would-be hero is taken in as a child and raised to learn more villainous ways. And come to think of it, the match I had in mind would actually start right after the first scene of the story. 

Besides, if the story the match is made from has complex-enough characters, it may not be too hard to have the hero have that heel turn without taking them too far away from their basic persona. 

I see, well if you make the write up, I will let you know if it qualifies. :)

Just as a reminder, the challenge ends in 5 days! Please have any submissions in by 8/30 11:59 PM ET. Thanks!

Here's mine. Dskillz I thought of you when I wrote it. From that one random encounter we had on youtube on a Transformers Prime clip.

Man, I'm glad I held back on my Obi-Wan vs Cal Kestis original idea. Seems Star Wars was in.